Thursday, September 25, 2014

My Favourite Festival, Mooncake Festival : Sep-14

I always look forward to Mooncake Festival simply because I love to eat mooncakes. For a few years in a row since Nancy taught me how to make my own moonies, I have spent much happy and also tortuous time making my own mooncakes to eat as well as to give close friends and relatives. Every year, I would swear that I will not make mooncakes again the following year!! And last year, I really lived by my swear and made none. However, last year was really a very uneventful and non-memorable Mooncake Festival.. ) :

As I was thinking about mooncakes again this year, Victor announced that he would be ordering some masks and capes from taobao for his colleagues to dress up together for their end-August company D&D, and asked if I have anything to order.. His question juz sparked an idea!! I could order some mooncake stuff from taobao and make my moonies again this year!!! I was getting fed up with my cheap plastic phoon huat mooncake moulds, which contributed to my mooncake lethargy..

I sprang into action and found some pretty impressive-looking mooncake moulds. In fact those were moulds with lever and interchangeable design plates which i would love to get.. juz that they cost a bomb here. One medium mould with four design plates costs almost $20 at sun lik! In the end I found a set of four different moulds of different shapes & sizes, each with four interchangeable design plates which cost less than SG$20!! I also ordered a design of paper mooncake box and individual transparent mooncake boxes to be placed into the paper box, which could hold eight small snowskin moonies.. I even ordered decorative stickers for the individual boxes!! Wooooo.. it was so exciting!! I felt so alive once again and so looking forward to the Mid-autumn Festival once again!!!!!!!

After placing the taobao order, I was ready to undertake the tedious task of entirely making all of our mooncakes, both for consumption and distribution!! We all love the raffles hotel snowskin truffle mooncakes.. But each year, the cost of their mooncakes would rise and now the cost of one cheapest box is almost $60 with juz a miserable 8 little cakes in it. To buy only one box for the girls would simply be inadequate but to buy more would be sheer extravagance.. So I have decided to buy truffles to make our own raffles hotel mooncakes instead!! 

*** *** ***
Very excitedly after my taobao stuff arrived, I began to search for mooncake recipes so as to begin my very first attempt with my new toys. I recalled one of the reasons I stopped making moonies was because I was rather disgusted by the vegetable shortening; it was so oily that the grease simply could not be washed off!! I wondered how it would grease my guts and intestine.. I turned to my moonie guru Nancy for help. She revealed that there were a few bloggers who successfully substituted the shortening with healthier oils like olive oil! Hahaa.. Armed with this info, searching for a healthier snowskin recipe became a breeze!


My very first batch of snowskin mooncakes were so ugly.. but yummy!! I had no qualms eating up these delicious cakes with the gals because they were simply not presentable enough to be given away. 

Then we made the prettier ones to give away..

As they sell a wider variety of truffles, my moonies' flavours became more varied too!! (^_^)

Then, as I distributed a few individual moonies to some friends, one of them suggested that I make some to sell to her!! Although I dismissed her idea almost immediately, she insisted that I should think about it and reply her only later as she did not need the mooncakes immediately. Well, as it goes, the more I think about it, the more I thought, "Why not?"  So I did it!! Two boxes of big mooncakes to be picked up on different days. It was more stressful than I thought because these snowskin mooncakes could not be made too early in advance as the skin would turn hard after a couple of days..

This time, I could even give QQ a separate smaller box, according to his preferred flavour!! (^^)

Qi also made some--actually she brought quite a lot as I also made a dozen for her--of moonies to school as Teachers' Day gifts for her teachers..

Alone, I have put together more than a hundred moonies.. Indeed, I made to my hearts' content! Even Qi & En had fun joining in the process and all of us including Xuan and Victor ate to our hearts' content!! You know, I'm pretty pleased with myself this Mid Autumn Festival!! *\(^_^)/*

No comments: